Thursday, December 5, 2013

Literary Analysis #2

Literary Analysis #2
1.Well this book is not really so much of a plot, but more like a time line kind of in chronological order. Still I Rise is a brief history of Black America, told in an graphic-novel form.

2.Theme on this book would be Bravery, Depression, Hatred, or even Embracing because African Americans have come a long way to fight for whats right.

3.I chose this book because Mr. Ostini was showing us that not only is Persepolis a graphic novel, but many other books are written like it. What got my attention was the front cover of African Americans and the Title: Still I Rise, because I knew it was going to be about African Americans who were about to go through some serious slavery and i never really got to learn about that. The book got me going because I was pulled in by how the art was drawn and how the writer made it all packed in a single page. 

4.I definitely found this book realistic. I connected this book to those in the past such as: Tupac, Obama, Martin Luther King, and Rosa Parks.

5. I think tone would be based on how the "old lady and old man" talked liked they lived threw the experience of slavery, no rights, etc.

6.Figurative Language
Hyperbole-"Better be a damn fine silver w. We nearly lost all our property" (Laird 7).
Imagery-"...and two months after the Birmingham bombing, John F. Kennedy was assassinated. Americas violence was catching up  with her" (Laird 187).
Onomatopoeia-"and when the slaves retaliated, they were punished...CHOOF!" (Laird 21). 
Onomatopoeia-"its time those niggers get put in their place....POW!" (Laird 83).
Symbolism-"I'm glad you blokes could get her to fight for us.......I aint fightin for you. Im fightin for me" (Laird 47)

Characterization
There wasn't any characters or protagonist and antagonist because its like a brief history or background of Black America. There was like an old lady and old man who would be talking, but that's it. not really ant description about them anyways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment